Friday, August 16, 2013

Is a waterproof iPhone coming soon? Or can I waterproof my existing one?

$data.stripHtml($pagemail.customData.TopComponent1Dek) Trouble viewing this email? Read it online.

August 16, 2013

CNET Community

Is a waterproof iPhone coming soon? Or can I waterproof my existing one?

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! Let me ask you this, how many times have you wished your cell phone were waterproof? I don't know about you, but I'm raising my hands! Over the years of owning many cell phones, I've had my fair share of them damaged by liquid. They've seen the washing machine, the pool, and plenty of spills. When I used to work in the cellular industry, liquid-damaged phones ran a cool second place to cracked phones brought in by customers for service. And most of the time, those liquid-damaged phones were unsalvageable.

This week's topic comes from Doug, who is a fisherman, and as you all know fishermen, like it or not, will get wet. He wants to know if Apple will be coming out with a waterproof phone soon, and if not, can he waterproof his current iPhone?

To answer your first question, Doug, since Apple is pretty tight-lipped about specs of their new products, until it's announced we won't know if a waterproof/water-resistant iPhone is coming. But what I do know now is that there are several cell phone manufactures like Samsung, Sony, Motorola, Kyocera, and few others that have waterproof phones today. And if you're willing to give up the iPhone, you can just go get one now.

However, if you'd rather keep what you've got, our members have given you some great recommendations for waterproofing and weatherproofing your existing iPhone -- from waterproof cases to new nano coating technology to something as simple as a Ziplock bag! It's a full spectrum of choices. However, what I'm personally curious about is the nano coating technology, where you don't need a case to protect the phone from liquids. The coating supposedly is applied to your phone and magically it becomes water-resistant and even waterproof. It's fascinating technology and if any of you have used it, please swing by the discussion thread and fill us in! And if you've got more suggestions for Doug, be sure to tell us about it. Thanks everyone for your time and have a great weekend!
Lee Koo

Lee Koo
Community manager

View profile  |  Email
Topic of the week
Q: Is a waterproof iPhone coming soon? Or can I waterproof my existing one?
Hi everyone. I am a commercial fisherman and in my line of work, I get soaked all the time and I want a waterproof iPhone. I've seen advertisements about a Samsung phone that is waterproof, but I want a waterproof iPhone. Is a waterproof iPhone coming out soon? I have seen somewhere that there are waterproofing technology that can be applied to phones that will make phones completely waterproofed. And if Apple doesn't come out with a waterproof phone soon, I'd like to try the applied waterproof technology on my existing iPhone. But what I need to know is has anyone tried it and does it work and will it withstand the abuse of salt water? Please shed some light on this subject and if you have used a waterproofing service with success, please let me know who you used. Thank you.
  -- Submitted by: Doug C.
A: Featured answers of the week

"Good News!"

  -- Submitted by: Hforman

"There are a couple"

  -- Submitted by: turmar67

"RE: Is a waterproof iPhone coming soon? Or can I waterproof"

  -- Submitted by: tlaverick

"Companies that waterproof the iphone"

  -- Submitted by: mikethecpa

"Weatherproof your IPhone "

  -- Submitted by: High Desert Charlie
 

Click here to read all member contributions


 

Thanks to all who contributed!

Click here to see all previous Community newsletters


Next week's question
Q: I have a 2TB hard drive, what do you mean my disk space is running low?!
On my desktop computer I am running Windows Vista. 10 months ago, I had my friend change the hard drive to a 2-terabyte hard drive, which is massive compared to my old drive. Now, I keep getting a message saying that I have low disk space? I have continually cleaned the drive, I've even deleted programs, but I still get the warning that my disk space is low. What gives? Am I doing something wrong, why is my hard drive filling up so fast?

I also went into the disk manager to see if my friend had changed the hard drive to extend the space for that 2-terabyte usage, but I did not know what to touch. Can you help me fix this problem, as I really don't know what the problem is? I also would like to take the system back to its beginning status from when I first got it.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
-- Submitted by: Patricia C.
If you have an answer to this question, click here and click the "reply" to submit your advice, suggestions, opinions, or tips.

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:
Hardware & software Home audio & video
Internet security Cameras & video
Mobile devices Digital media & design
Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET Forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
ATTENTION CAR ENTHUSIASTS /

Go for a ride with XCARGo for a ride with XCAR

CNET takes you for a spin in the world's finest and rarest cars you dream of driving.
Buckle up

Next week's question
Quick PollHave you ever damaged your cell phone with liquids?

·  Yes, I ran my phone through the washing machine.
·  Yes, I dropped it into the toilet.
·  Yes, I went swimming with it.
·  Yes, I spilled my drink on it.
·  Yes, I dropped it into a puddle of water.
·  No, but I had a close call.
·  Never.
·  Other (What is it?)

Click here to Vote and click here to discuss the poll.

Mac Nugget

Does defragging a solid state drive lessen its life?

Who has the best free e-mail provider?

How should I extend my HDMI with degrading signal?

Help your fellow members
Getting eyestrain headaches from tablet LCD screens

How to definitively set Windows 8 permissions???

What is the best TV, HDTV, or monitor to use with a desktop computer?

Extremely lost newbie seeks help setting up home network
Can't update iMAC or Airport since upgrading to OSX 10.7.4.
CNET Crave giveaway
How does a free TV sound? Yeah, we thought so. Find out how to pay absolutely nothing to score this budget set from LG. Click here to enter the Crave giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in